Construction sites and Job Sites are extremely risky places, with numerous potential hazards that can cause serious injury or death. Not only are workers at risk, but an increasing number of distracted pedestrians who accidentally stumble onto the site are also in danger.
This is exactly why it is crucial to implement safety protocols and security solutions to mitigate this growing issue. One major concern is distracted walking in construction zones, which can lead to serious injury or even death.
Personal safety is an essential concern on all sites which can pose significant hazards to pedestrians, especially distracted ones. In recent years, several accidents have occurred in different cities where pedestrians were injured or killed while walking near construction sites. These accidents are often due to a lack of access control measures, inadequate safety protocols, or failure to properly secure hazardous areas. In this section, we will take a closer look at some statistics of accidents that have occurred at construction sites and discuss possible solutions to prevent such accidents from happening.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) conducted research on the risks of unauthorized access to construction sites. They found that unauthorized access is a common problem and can lead to serious accidents and injuries. In one case study, a pedestrian was struck and killed by a construction vehicle after entering a work zone. Link: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2004-101/default.html
Here are some other tragic stories that could have been easily avoided:
1. In November 2022, a man walked onto a jobsite when he was struck and killed by a crane at a construction site in downtown Los Angeles. The man was looking down at his phone and did not notice he strolled onto a site and the crane moving towards him. Access control measures like gates or turnstiles could have been installed at the entrance to the construction site to prevent him from entering. Additionally, security cameras could have been installed to monitor the site and detect any potential unauthorized personnel.
2. In June 2021, a pedestrian was injured after walking onto a jobsite and falling into a construction hole in New York City. The individual was reportedly distracted by their phone and did not see the hole, which was not properly secured. Access control measures like fencing or barricades could have been installed to prevent her or other pedestrians from accidentally walking into it. . Access control measures like fencing or barricades could have been installed to prevent her or other pedestrians from accidentally walking into it.
3. In May 2020, a man was struck by a truck while walking in a construction zone in New York City. According to witnesses, the man was walking with headphones onto a project and did not hear the truck approaching. He stepped into the lot and was struck by the truck, suffering serious injuries. Pedestrian traffic control measures like barricades or fences could have been used to clearly mark the construction zone and prevent pedestrians from entering the area.
4. In January 2019, a woman was struck and killed by a cement truck at a construction site in Houston. According to police, the woman was walking in a construction zone when she was hit by the truck, which was backing up at the time. Access control measures like gates or turnstiles could have been installed at the entrance to the site to prevent unauthorized individuals from entering.
5. In May 2019, a pedestrian was struck and killed by a forklift at a construction site in San Francisco. The individual was reportedly distracted by their phone and did not see the forklift approaching. While wondering onto a job site Access control measures like gates or turnstiles could have been installed at the entrance to the construction site to prevent unauthorized individuals from entering.
Unfortunately, the incidents mentioned above are not isolated incidents. Each year, numerous accidents and injuries occur due to unauthorized access by pedestrians and others who are not authorized to be on the site. In order to address this issue, it's important to understand the scope of the problem and take steps to implement effective security measures to prevent unauthorized access and reduce the risk of accidents and injuries.
Unauthorized access to job sites is another significant issue that companies face. Individuals who enter construction sites with the intention of committing suicide pose a serious threat to everyone involved, and companies can face significant legal and insurance liabilities in such cases. By utilizing barriers, fencing, access control turnstiles with bio-metrics and other security measures, companies can help prevent unauthorized access and reduce the risk of incidents. The installation of security cameras can also help detect any unusual behavior or activity on the site, allowing authorities to intervene before an incident occurs.
1. In February 2023, a 24-year-old man jumped to his death from a high-rise near Penn Station in New York City. The man was not a construction worker but had gained access to the construction site. It is unclear how he was able to access the site.
2. Suicide victim discovered on construction site of new Attleboro high school: In August 2021, the body of a suicide victim was discovered on the construction site of a new high school in Attleboro, Massachusetts. The individual was not a construction worker but had accessed the site unauthorized.
As a construction company owner, it is also important to understand the legal and financial liabilities that come with accidents and injuries on your job site. Not only can these incidents lead to costly lawsuits from unauthorized visitors or their families seeking compensation for damages, but they can also result in lost productivity and worker compensation claims.
Sanico USA is dedicated to providing comprehensive safety and security solutions for construction sites. As a Brivo Systems and Eagle Eye certified partner, Sanico USA has the expertise to design a strategic plan for job sites that complies with OSHA regulations. In addition to understanding the legal and financial risks, it is important to be aware of regulatory requirements. OSHA has established a set of safety standards that construction companies must follow to ensure the safety of workers and the public. Brivo Systems provides cloud-based access control solutions, while Eagle Eye Networks offers cloud-based video surveillance. Together, these partnerships enable Sanico USA to offer top-of-the-line security solutions that are OSHA compliant and tailored to each job site's unique needs. For more information on Sanico USA and our security solutions, please visit our website. Additionally, for more information on Brivo Systems and Eagle Eye Networks, please visit their respective websites at https://www.brivo.com/ and https://www.een.com/.
Sanico USA begins by conducting a thorough assessment of the job site to identify potential hazards and vulnerabilities. Based on the findings, we will recommend appropriate security measures that are tailored to the specific needs of the job site. These may include access control systems, turnstiles, construction site wireless cameras, and other security solutions. By working with Sanico USA, you can have peace of mind knowing that their job site is optimized for maximum safety and security.
In addition to reducing the risk of accidents and injuries, implementing proper security measures can also lead to significant cost savings. By minimizing the likelihood of incidents, you can save money on insurance premiums and avoid costly legal and financial liabilities. Furthermore, creating a safer environment for the public demonstrates a commitment to safety and security, which can ultimately lead to improved relationships with clients and the surrounding community.
Overall, investing in proper security measures is essential for any construction company looking to prioritize safety and reduce risk. By partnering with Sanico USA, construction companies can ensure compliance with OSHA regulations and create a safer, more secure job site for all. With their expertise and customized approach, Sanico USA is an ideal partner for any construction company looking to improve their security measures and protect their workers and the public. Visit www.saniocusa.com to learn more about their security solutions and how they can help you optimize your job site's safety and security.
245 Hooker Pl.
Staten Island, NY 10303
New York City USA